It’s no secret that effective communication in relationships is far from easy. It is easy to say hurtful things that you don’t mean and it’s rather difficult to say the things that you need to say. Yet effective communication is one of the most important parts of a healthy relationship. Over the years, we’ve come up with a few tips that can have a dramatic impact on your communication and as a result the happiness and success of your relationship. Give them a try and let us know how it goes! 1. Compromise is an essential part of solving problems. Before you bring up a problem in conversation, make sure you have considered ways to solve it with mutual compromise.
2. Try to be thoughtful and positive with bringing up sensitive issues. Instead of jumping right into a discussion about the problems, start your discussion by talking about the good aspects first.
3. Being a “reflective” listener is essential to making sure that you and your partner are on the same page. Try saying, “What I hear you saying is…”
4. Use the “time out” card if the discussion gets too intense or heated. It’s better to postpone the discussion to a time when both people can communicate effectively.
5. If you can’t reach a definitive solution, still end the conversation on a positive note. Try something like, “I think it’s good that we’ve both shared our feelings. Let’s keep having this discussion so we can eventually come up with a better solution.”
6. Don’t ever be rude or talk down to your partner. Don’t dismiss his or her ideas. Listen to them and then logically, and with respect, discuss your point of view.
7. Stay on track. It’s easy for topics to blur but, if you sit down to talk about finances and suddenly you’re talking about your mother-in-law, it would be beneficial to address the problems one at a time.