• Call Us 888-795-4337
Why Go to Counseling

Why Go to Counseling

If you’ve asked yourself, “why should I go to counseling?” you may be surprised to know that there are countless reasons to see a therapist. Maybe you think you’re “doing fine” on your own, or maybe you’ve realized you could use some extra help in life. No matter the circumstances, anyone can find benefits to counseling.

Mental Illness and Addiction

Did you know that 1 in 5 American adults suffer from a mental illness, and 1 in 10 suffer from addiction? These stats show that you are not alone in what you’re feeling. Having a mental illness, disorder, or addiction is a very normal reason to go to counseling. Talking through your obstacles and struggles with an experienced therapist can help set your life on the right track. Your therapist can provide you with the tools you need to cope with your situation. No matter what you struggle with, there is a therapist that specializes in the situations that you face.

Marriage and Family Counseling

Just like people who experience mental illness, you and your partner are not the only couple who has experienced setbacks in their relationship. 41 percent of marriages experience infidelity, and 1 in 10 do not trust their partner. Seeing a Marriage and Family Therapist can be very beneficial; 98 percent of patients surveyed by the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists reported they received good or excellent couples therapy. 93 percent of patients said they had more effective tools for dealing with their struggles as a couple. Maybe you want to feel emotionally connected to your partner, you want effective methods for communicating, or you want to understand each other better. Whatever your goal is, an MFT can help you identify your areas of weakness and turn them into strengths. Remember, it is not embarrassing to seek marriage counseling; it actually shows that you care about your partner and want to put an effort toward enhancing your relationship.

The same goes for your family. If you want to feel closer to your family as a whole, an MFT can work with you and your loved ones to strengthen the bonds you build with each other and learn tools for how to talk to one another when you reach conflict. All families have struggles; it’s difficult to live with others, especially when those people know exactly what makes you tick. Instead of falling apart, come together as a family with the help of a therapist.

Life advice

If you feel lost or that you haven’t found your direction in life, a therapist can work with you to identify your goals so you can work towards them. You may feel like you’re close to reaching your goals, but something is blocking your success. Your therapist will aid you in talking about your life patterns to identify what could be changed. If you want to feel more satisfied and successful in life, counseling can be a great benefit to you.

A healthier and happier you

Nobody is perfect, so who wouldn’t want to feel healthier and happier? Talking with a therapist can teach you to learn about yourself, to be the best person you can be. Your therapist can help you make happiness your priority so that you can enjoy your life. Talking through your struggles with someone else is very healthy, and helps you let go of the discomfort or pain you feel. It is healthy to confront our emotions and talk about them with someone who is experienced and knowledgeable in what you are going through.

No matter your reasoning for seeking counseling, you should never feel ashamed for seeing a therapist. You are a smart individual who understands you may need some extra help at the moment. Counseling can help you feel like your true self, so you can accomplish your goals and see the strength in the relationships you have with others and yourself.

10 thoughts on “Why Go to Counseling

1. Deb Pearl - January 31, 2018 at 5:08 pm

I’m glad that seeing a marriage and family therapist can be very beneficial, and that 98 percent of people reported that they had excellent couples therapy. I have a friend who has been struggling with her marriage and doesn’t know what to do. It sounds like seeing a therapist could be a good idea. I will have to let her know and see if she would like to give it a try.

2. Tiffany Locke - February 1, 2018 at 2:01 am

I’m glad that you mention how 1 in 5 American adults suffer from a mental illness and how it’s a good reason to go to counseling. If you go to a professional, it would probably give you the chance to get the help you need so that you are happier and able to function better. When choosing a counseling center, it would probably be important to consider the type of mental illness you’re suffering from and research the different options by looking online and talking to people you know so that you can find one that is able to provide the services you need for your situation.

3. Julius Amberfield - February 21, 2018 at 4:47 am

What caught my attention the most was how you pointed out that through counseling, I will be able to have a clearer view of my goals and what I need to do or change in order to reach it. I have a feeling that I need to try counseling out because I already know what I want, but I do not know what I need to do to make it happen. I keep on failing, and it’s frustrating because I feel like my attempts are going nowhere. It might be best to ask someone to help me figure out what I’ve been doing wrong. Thank you.

4. Ridley Fitzgerald - March 20, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Going to counseling seems like it has a lot of benefits. I like how you said that a therapist can help me identify goals and get a direction in life. It seems like my life is kind of stagnant right now, so that would be awesome.

5. Joy Butler - April 5, 2018 at 4:15 am

Been married for 5 years and recently, we’re not on good terms. I can feel that we’re not happy with each other’s presence anymore. I am emotionally in trouble right now, nevertheless, your post helped me ease some pain and emptiness. Thanks and have a good day!

6. Ashley Maxwell - April 10, 2018 at 11:47 pm

I appreciate your tip to look into couples counseling when you need some more life help. I also like how you said that they should be experienced if they are going to counsel you. My husband and I are considering looking into couples counseling to strengthen our marriage.

7. Gerty Gift - April 20, 2018 at 3:22 pm

You said that forty-one percent of marriages experience infidelity and ten percent do not trust their partner. I don’t know if that ten percent is part of that original number, but I didn’t realize that that many people had a this problem. I personally don’t feel like my marriage has any problems, but now I kind of feel like talking to my husband to see if we’re on the same page. Thank you for the advice and I will definitely keep this in mind.

8. Elsa Anderson - April 24, 2018 at 1:08 am

I’m glad when you pointed that counseling can help someone battle their hardships in life by offering advice and setting goals based on what the person is actually going through. I have a friend who has been lonesome in years, as he feels as though everything he worked hard for is always taken away from him. I knew there is a way to get him off of the loop, and I feel talking to a psychologist on how he feels and he’s getting into will help him find solutions to improve his way of living. I will share this with him and hope that he considers talking to an expert to see a different perspective. Thank you!

9. James Anderson - April 25, 2018 at 12:31 am

It’s great that you’ve mentioned how a marriage and family therapist can work with the person and his loved ones so that their bonds can be strengthened as well as help them learn tools on how to talk to one another when there is conflict. My wife and I have been getting into arguments lately and I don’t want it to get worse than what it is now. I’ll suggest that we seek the help of a mental health counselor so that we can learn the skills that we need for a more harmonious relationship.

10. Max Sayer - May 11, 2018 at 4:01 pm

These were really helpful information about adult counselling. Going to counselling is something that I have never really considered doing before. I never realized that 1 in 5 American adults suffer from a mental illness this is something I want to look into.